Monday, November 28, 2005

Ooh La La

The Fatales assure me my superspecialness alone has begat me exclusive access to these tracks, although I've actually already heard them already (save for Leitmotif) via their MySpace page.

Darkened Country
Stadtpark
Leitmotif I (Intro to Vanishing Act)
Vanishing Act

Either way, it's good stuff--very winter-friendly music I think, and more atmospheric than some of their earlier recordings in a way that makes me think Sigur Ros has been in heavy rotation on someone's iPod. I'm particularly partial to Vanishing Act, it being the most rock out-y song of all, and me having not transitioned over to listening to Hem yet, whose first release might just be the quintessential cold weather album.

I've also been listening to Illinois nonstop again. It was one of those albums that I bought as soon as it came out and kept on repeat for about 3 weeks afterward and until I couldn't stand to hear it one more time despite it's being so amazing. Anyway I'm back to fawning over it and discovering new things about every song with each listen. I was noticing the other day the various string arrangements, the common themes they incorporate in to some songs, and just generally recognizing what a major role they play in the whole effort. I guess orchestration is a common thread running through many of the albums I turn to when the weather turns cold and nasty. Something about strings just warms me up I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home