Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Extra Ordinary

Everyone seems to be fawning over the new Fiona Apple album lately. Despite the general impression that all I want to listen to is indie-rock dance music, in fact I'm a huge Fiona Apple fan. Huge like I used a line from 'When the Pawn Hits...' as my senior quote which is, you know, a big deal in the whole 12th grade scheme of things. In the end, somehow my senior photo was omitted from the yearbook (a surreptitious plot against me by the yearbook staff?) so if I want to deny all this at a later date I still will, but for now I'm content in my affection for her. Or was. Cause I think this record blows! Granted I haven't listened to it enough to write a full review here, but I was skipping songs left and right this morning when I listened to it because I simply could not bear them. Ugh. It's like they took all the lamest tracks from her two previous efforts, mixed them together in a blender to deny any enjoyable highs or lows, and then laid them down as blandly as possible. Maybe I'll come around upon repeated listens but I suspect I won't be holding my breath for her next record, especially if it takes another 6 years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

The bootleg version that was released on the internet earlier this year is better, I think. She changed producers and re-recorded all the songs, which was unfortunate. Give the first version a try, might change your opinion.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home