Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Indeed, I have the best job in the world

I suppose I don't talk about work too too much here since the consensus seems to be that blogging about your job = bad bad idea, but the fact of the matter is that I could and I should because my job is awesome and I am spoiled. Take for example, today. We've paid some advertising company too much money to promise us that anyone who searches online for an event venue in Charlottesville will find us at the top of his/her results page. Problem is, even I can't find us when I search using our agreed upon key words. So we whined to said advertiser who, rather than actually doing something helpful like explaining or fixing the issue, faxed over a USA Today article titled "How to get Google to notice you." (Before you ask, this advertiser is actually some subset of the Yellow Pages and yes, I too was expecting some sort of customer support other than blurry photocopies of a fluff piece from a poorly written newspaper.)

Anyway, the point of the story is that the article mentions the import of key words and and links and in regards to the latter suggests that you post links on Flickr pictures, MySpace, and in blog comments, and then, if you're really gung-ho, maybe start a blog yourself! My boss came in and I handed him the article while mentioning that if had to I would totally spend more time trolling the internets and linking our site on every blog I read. "Why don't you just start a blog instead?" he responded, "Make up some crazy soap opera about what goes on here."

The humor in this lies in the fact this place often could be mistaken for some crazy soap opera and we've talked, on more than on occasion, about how we so should have had someone make a reality show out of the business--at least that way we could pay the bills. Lately, my boss' (generally silent but not so silent anymore) partner has been meddling in all our affairs and, by and large, driving us all completely insane. So my next question to the boss was, "So what do I write about then? Your crazy partner and the fact that he's been in here lately and everyone hates him?" "Sure, I don't care."

2 Comments:

Blogger Lew said...

well said, Beth. Bold blog.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Thrasher said...

I am in full support of such a blog. But it must be brutally judgemental. It must.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home