Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Notes

When I browsed through the news stories listed on Yahoo earlier today the "Best Jobs for 2006" headline stuck out. Us News and World Report think you should be a
1. audiologist
2. optometrist
3. veterinarian
4. professor
All pretty standard I guess. I mean the professor thing, that's a given. That job is gravy baby, especially, I suspect at some of those smaller, more expensive liberal arts schools. The audiologist seems a bit odd, but I guess they figure all the baby boomers are going deaf right about now, and all those kids have their earbuds shoved in at all times and their ipods up so loud that there's great job security. But further down the list we have
5. librarian
Apparently this is an 'underrated' career. Hmmm. I knew one person with a masters in library science. She was definitely temping last I heard.
6. Clergy
2k5 was not so sweet to the clergy folk, maybe 2k6 will be better?
Further on down the list we have 'personal coach' and 'firefighter.'
Whatever

********

On an unrelated note.
I really hate people that have these dumb quotes as part of their signature at the end of their emails. Do you really think your musing from Mark Twain or Machiavelli or whoever is going to inspire me while I sit at a desk and read your work-related email? No, it isn't, it's just gonna make me think you're lame. And exponentially lamer if you are someone who corresponds with me regularly and thus I know that you actually go to the trouble to change your quote with some frequency from something like "don't cry because its over, smile because it happened" to "this above all to thine own self be true."

I was ranting to my co-worker about this phenomenon yesterday. He didn't seem to be quite as perturbed by it as I. He happens to be a former member of a famous band whose name rhymes with the cave crapviews land. I found it quite amusing, then, when he commented, "Beth, you don't even know how much lamer it is when that email quote is some trite song lyric from your old band."

Love,
me
'Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain.'

3 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

you used to be in a famous band too? mine wasnt that famous but we put a CD out on a major and toured with PearlJam once. ryhmes with Fingertight. wait that is the band.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

just to add, my signature is "the terrorists are winning"

5:44 PM  
Blogger sbma44 said...

Once, in college, I had to leave a voicemail for a friend-of-a-friend who I was supposed to be giving a ride home to. I called his room and got his VM message, which his roommate had recorded. It was -- and I'm not exaggerating -- about 20 seconds of that DMB song's chorus, followed by him saying "Hey, this is Dave and Simon. We're too busy eating, drinking and being merry to answer your call right now, but leave a message and we'll get back to you." Followed by another 10 or 15 seconds of the chorus.

Jesus christ.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home